Thursday, January 20, 2005

Joining the crowd at the donut shop

Well, I succumbed to the donut craze that has been sweeping the island recently and stopped at our new local (well, not that local) donut shop to buy some donuts--or as they call them here, 多拿滋 duonazi (no, that's not pronounced "Nazi"--it's more like nah-dz). As mentioned by Poagao and in the Taipei Times, folks in Taiwan have been going nuts over donuts recently, with Mr. Donut opening in Taipei and a Japanese place opening around here called 威力 (Waili, they spell it, although it should be "Weili" The word means "might", "force", or "power"). People stand outside these places for hours waiting for their chance to buy donuts.

I didn't stand outside for hours--when I got there this evening there wasn't a line outside (only inside), so I went directly in and bought a few donuts to sample. So far I'm unimpressed, but I guess these are better than the stuff you find in supermarkets around here. My wife says the Waili donuts are more suited to Asian tastes--kind of chewy and not too sweet. I haven't tried their coffee yet (which was the main reason we always went to Dunkin' Donuts when we were in Syracuse). It might be a while, though, since going there always involves braving traffic and waiting in lines.

7 comments:

susansinclair said...

Will the coffee be kinda chewy and not too sweet?

Jonathan Benda said...

I imagine it will be pretty strong, actually. I'll have to add a lot of sugar to make it sweet. Wonder what I should add to make it chewy, though...

senioritis said...

The Japanese students I taught a couple of decades ago were repulsed by sugary American treats. It's not a good thing, I think, that we're successfully exporting this fat-and-sugar-laden treat, to reeducate palates in cultures that don't have obesity problems! That said, the Asian version of a donut sounds pretty appealing.

aerobil said...

mmmmmmmmmm.......donuts.

Jonathan Benda said...

Yeah, but no purple ones... :-(

Anonymous said...

...but do you have a Krispy Kreme? I think not!

Heather S.

Jonathan Benda said...

No, indeed. And I don't expect we'll get one very soon. (But I never expected Taiwan would get a Mr. Donut, either.)