Friday, September 08, 2006

New year's resolutions

Susan did this, so I'm going to do it, too: make some resolutions for the new school year (or at least for this semester). The semester is starting soon and I'm not particularly rested for it. (In fact I've got bags under my eyes that you could could put a week's groceries in.) But there's something hopeful about a new semester, so here goes:
  1. "Write incrementally." (I'm putting this in quotes because Krista at Thinkery and Susan said it first. If you don't know what it means, see Thinkery's explanation here.)
  2. Finish the dissertation. (This is one of Susan's goals, too. And Heather's, too. And half the world's, it seems. We'll see who manages to get done first. Bet it won't be me! [There's some positive thinking for you...])
  3. Keep drinking a lot of water. (One thing I've done right this summer is drink tons of water. It's helped me lose some weight and move the "poisons" out of me. Gotta keep up this good habit.)
  4. Stay away from the Pepsis and other sugary drinks. (Colleagues, students, if you see me with a Pepsi in hand, you have my permission to take it away from me. But don't touch my Dr Pepper...)
  5. When weather permits (i.e., it's not super-hot and humid and it's not raining), make every effort to walk to school instead of driving. (Don't want to get there stinky and sweaty, but if I can get up early enough maybe I can actually take my time walking there instead of being in a rush.)
  6. Keep to a schedule enough so that at the end of every day I can look at my daybook and feel satisfied that I accomplished a few important things. (Hope that doesn't sound too ambitious...)
  7. Spend more quality time with the former native Chinese speaker. (We're both going to be really busy this semester, so our time together should be spent on things other than TV-watching and web-surfing. Ahem--so what is it I'm doing now???)
  8. Don't make too many resolutions, promises, and/or commitments that I won't be able to keep. (What was that weekend composition class that I just volunteered to teach? Shoot--I guess I've already sort of broken this resolution. Oh well...)
That oughtta do it.

5 comments:

susansinclair said...

How about revising #7 to read "snuggle more" rather than quality time? You're only allowed to have the tv on if you're in full snuggle position.

Anonymous said...

See if you can convince your employer to set up shower facilities so that you can take a shower after walking to the work site.

Anonymous said...

Does Mr. Brown coffee count as an off-limits drink? I sure as heck hope not!

Jonathan Benda said...

Well, "quality time" would include, but not be limited, to the activity you mentioned, Susan. (*blush*)
---------------
I don't know... I think I'd just prefer not to sweat, Tony...
---------------
I don't drink that much Mr. Brown these days, Heather. I've been drinking a lot of "La Gauche de la Seine" coffee...

Jonathan Benda said...

Here's an ad for La Gauche de la Seine, Heather...