Friday, November 07, 2008

Tell the new US administration you want support for Taiwanese self-determination

Via Tom Benson's blog, I found out about the incoming US administration's website, Change.gov. They've got forms for people to submit their hopes and vision for the new administration. The cynic in me suggests that this attempt at "open" government isn't really going to go anywhere, but the idealist in me wrote something to them, anyway. I expressed my hope that the US would be more supportive of the rights of the Taiwanese people for self-determination regarding their future. (This assumes that Taiwan remains a democracy...)

Add your stories and visions! (I don't want to be the only fool doing it... ;) )

4 comments:

RunningBurro said...

I was thinking of doing just that. China's already trying to influence Obama's U.S. policy on Taiwan (in their usual heavy-handed way).

Jonathan Benda said...

Yeah--I heard about this. They're already trying to get Obama to stop weapons sales to Taiwan. I guess I'm not surprised...

Anonymous said...

TEACHER~
THANKS YOU SUPPORT TAIWAN,BUT I THINK TAIWAN HAVE NO HOPE.
BECAUSE WE HAVE THE STUPID PRESIDENT.
HE BETRAY OUR TAIWANESE TO PURSUE UNIT WITH CHINA.
I HATE MYSELF VOTE HIM IN THE ELECTION.

Jonathan Benda said...

Wow--and I thought I was a pessimist...

I understand your frustration with Ma, though, and I share it. (Though I didn't vote for him.) I hope that enough people here will share that concern with what the government is doing that the KMT won't be able to sell out Taiwan, if that's what they want to do. Don't give up hope!